Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Billy Fury Sings It Like It Is

billyfury2


A highlight of last weekend's Vroman's reading was Tosh Berman plumbing the psychological depths of British teen idol Billy Fury, culminating in recitation of these deathless lyrics.


NOBODY'S CHILD

As I was slowly passing, an Orphan's home one day
I stopped for just a little while, to watch the children play,
Alone, a boy was standing, and when I asked him why,
He turned, with eyes, that could not see, and he began to cry,
I'm nobody's child, just like a flower, I am growing wild
No Mummy kisses, and no Daddy's smile, nobody wants me,
I am nobody's child.

No mothers arms to hold me, or sooth me when I cry.
Sometimes it gets so lonesome here, I wish that I could die,
I'd walk the streets of heaven, where all the blind can see,
And just like all the other kids, there'd be a home for me,
I'm nobody's child, I'm nobody's child, just like a flower, I am growing wild,
No Mummy's kisses and no Daddy's smile, nobody wants me

No comments: