Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Petra Haden Sings: The Who Sell Out (Bar/None)

I think it was when the guitars didn't come in three words into “Our Love Was” that I fully submitted to Haden's offbeat, all-multi-tracked-vocal reinterpretation of the Who's great pop art disc. Where the original's an amphetamine spree through quick-cut sixties London, love, jealousy, faith and advertising colliding in a spray of perfect minor-key pop and warm baked beans, Haden's scat reinvention is a more intimate, playful, feminine flipside to Townshend & Co.'s schoolboy archness. By “Relax,” the fuzzed-out mouth sounds she's making become quite passable substitutes for electric instruments, and I'm thinking I'm never gonna be able to listen to the source material quite the same way again.

And Pete's reaction? “I love it. It is exquisite." Release date: Feb 22. -Kim Cooper

No comments: